Get your refund faster -- Direct Deposit

You have several options for receiving your federal income tax refund. You can:

  • Split your refund with direct deposits into two or three checking or savings accounts
  • Direct deposit your refund into one checking or savings account
  • Receive your refund as a paper check in the mail You can generally expect the IRS to issue your refund in less than 21 calendar days after we receive your tax return.

When to check your refund?  Within 24 hours after we’ve received your e-filed tax return  or 4 weeks after you mail your paper return.

What you need to check your refund status?  Social Security Number, filing status and  exact refund amount.



Question: I don't owe taxes. Can I file electronically after April 15?

  • Electronically filed tax returns are accepted until November 23.
  • If April 15 does not fall on a weekend or legal holiday, you must file Form 4868 (PDF), Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, on or before April 15 for your return to be considered timely if filed after April 15.
  • If April 15 falls on a weekend or legal holiday, you have until midnight the next business day following April 15 to timely file either Form 4868 or your tax return.
  • If you timely file Form 4868, you have until October 15 to timely file your return.
  • If you do not timely file Form 4868, you may be subject to a failure-to-file penalty if you file your return after April 15 (or after the next business day following April 15, if April 15 falls on a weekend or legal holiday).

Question: We will be filing a joint 1040 series tax return. Can we file our return electronically?

Yes, you can file electronically using any filing status. The limitations are:

  • It must be your original individual return (not an amended return), and
  • You cannot have already filed a return.

Filing your return electronically is faster, safer, and more accurate than mailing your tax return because it is transmitted electronically to the IRS computer systems.

Question: What should I do if I made a mistake on my federal return that I have already filed?

It depends on the type of mistake that you made:

  • Many mathematical errors are caught in the processing of the tax return itself so you may not need to correct these mistakes.
  • If you did not attach a required schedule, the IRS will contact you and ask for the missing information.
  • If you did not report all of your income or did not claim a credit, you should file an amended or corrected return using Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

When filing an amended or corrected return:

  • Include copies of any schedules that have been changed or any Form(s) W-2 (PDF) you did not include. File 1040X only after you have filed your original return. Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years (including extensions) after the date you timely filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
  • Please allow the IRS 8-12 weeks to process an amended return.Question: If I claim my daughter as a dependent because she is a full-time college student, can she claim herself as a dependent when she files her return?

Question: Can my daughter claim herself if i claim her on my income tax return?

If you can claim your daughter as a dependent on your income tax return, she cannot claim herself on her income tax return.

  • If an individual is filing his or her own tax return, and the individual can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, the individual cannot claim his or her own personal exemption.
  • In this case, your daughter should check the box on her return indicating that someone else can claim her as a dependent.